I was invited to join a networking group breakfast yesterday and a couple of questions were posed that really got me thinking. The first one was, “why do you get up in the morning?” It’s a question that gets asked a lot, but not always answered truthfully by people. It had me reflecting on my own life. The usual stuff popped into my head. Kids, family, being the provider. But then I thought, “hang on.” Why is it we tend to focus immediately on things outside of ourselves when we ask this? Why do we think of things that we feel tasked to do? As opposed to thinking of what feels exciting and energising for you. If I’m not going to live passionately and completely honest with what I want to do with my life, then I guess I could just shut up and do anything (and not complain!).
But think about the question again. Why do you get up in the morning? That moment you open your eyes and wake up from sleep, is one of the most intimate personal moments you experience. It is when you have been most personal with your self and thoughts. It is the moment of honesty! So I challenge you all to think of the REAL reasons you should be getting up and giving each day your best.
The second question was a little more practical and basically went like this, “If I know what I want, how come I can’t seem to get there?” Mmmm….this one is so common, but yet quite tricky. The reason is could have many reasons for the “blockage.” But instead of trying to guess all the reasons why you are not getting to your goals, I want to rather just highlight how you should get to your goals.
You need to start by believing that you control everything in your life. If you can do that, you will find that success lives inside of you despite setbacks and obstacles. This is not about a CLEAR PATH TO YOUR GOAL. This is about learning that you can overcome any obstacle. And this is how you do it.
- Do not set a goal unless it feeds your passion. And when I say passion, I mean anything in your life that you believe would make it ideal.
- Do not set a goal and leave it up to the “stars” to get you there. Once you set a goal, live like you are already there in attitude and spirit.
- Take your big goals, and break it up into 48 hour goals. This way you will have a clear path between HERE AND NOW, and the FUTURE, and you will know what steps to take today.
- Always remain flexible. Change is necessary when obstacles appear. Take a detour, but do not lose sight of your destination.
- Finally, it’s all up to you. Do not wait for others to make your dreams come true.
I am convinced if you try these things, you will lift your own spirits for the challenges ahead.